Answer “Why do you do what you do?” using text & imagery
in a creative way.
wdydwyd? is collaborating with Brooklyn Arts Project and Working With Artists in Denver to create an exhibition at Burning Man 2008 — an event that attracts over 45,000 people to a prehistoric lake bed for one of the world’s largest and most avant-garde art festivals.
Since 2004, over 3,000 people have answered, "wdydwyd?" from groups as diverse as Harvard Business School, Echoing Green Foundation, Kellogg Foundation Fellows, including notable figures like Steve Case, the founder of AOL, and Gloria Steinham.
Subscribe to get curated wdydwyd photos each week by email.
Going to BM this year? - sign up to join a group photo project
Examples of what artists have made — but you can take it further.
DEADLINE: JULY 31, 2008
- Produce visual art that incorporates text in a creative way and answers the question “Why do you do what you do?”
- Upload here and tag it “BM08”. Title image with your name add text in the caption that tells a story about what you wrote.
- Join the Burning Man group “wdydwyd” for project announcements and updates.
- Finalists will be announced to Burning Man group members after August 1st.
A panel will consider a mix of criteria (below) when selecting images for the exhibition.
Up to 45 images will be featured in exhibit and considered for the wdydwyd book.
- surprise & something unexpected
- candor & authenticity (and/or) personal vulnerability (and/or) humor
- striking visual imagery that is relevant to the text message
- artistry & creativity
Can I create an image with someone else's answer? — Yes.
- Can I submit more than one? — Yes, as many as you want.
- Is there a specific file size or format required? — Larger the better (>3000 pixel wide if possible). Up to 10MB only. JPEG or PNG best (not GIF).
- Got any tips for answering "wdydwyd?" — Yes, here.
- Other questions, feel free to email any questions to tony (at) wdydwyd.com
People looking at wdydwyd exhibit (perspective: looking through back of fence)